Sunday, March 25, 2012

Invisible Man


Chinese artist Liu Bolin, painted from head-to-toe, stands suitably camouflaged in front of Freedom Tower, where the Twin Towers once stood, in New York. Hiding In New York, his latest exhibition, has just opened at the Eli Klein Gallery in the city.

Other works displayed in Liu's fourth solo exhibition include the artist camouflaged in front of panda toys; standing in the Yellow River in China; and hiding in a supermarket surrounded by Coca-Cola bottles and other top brands.

Previous work has included him blending into an iconic red British telehpone box and standing attention next to a cannon.

Liu claims his art makes a statement about his place in society and sees himself as an outsider whose artistic efforts are not appreciated, especially in his home country.

He has previously said: 'Some people call me the invisible man, but for me it's what is not seen in a picture which is really what tells the story.

'After graduating from school I couldn't find suitable work and I felt there was no place for me in society.

'I experienced the dark side of society, without social relations, and had a feeling that no one cared about me, I felt myself unnecessary in this world.

'From that time, my attitude turned from dependence into revolting against the system.'

by Graham Smith, Mail Online | More pictures here: